|OFFICE OF PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT|
|The position works under general supervision of the Manager of the Land Use Controls Section of the Office of Planning and Development to act as project manager for individual land use requests presented to the Memphis and Shelby County Land Use Control Board and Board of Adjustment.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
EEOC CODE: 20
|1. Three (3) years experience in project management of land use cases; and
2. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in city or regional planning, urban geography, urban studies; or
3. Equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
4. (Master’s degree in city or regional planning, urban geography, or urban studies may substitute for two (2) years experience.)
5. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
|1. Reviews individual applications that are made with the Memphis and Shelby County Land Use Control Board (the “LUCB,” which serves as the planning commission for the City of Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County) to ensure their compliance with the Memphis and Shelby County Unified Development Code (the “UDC”). These include requests for subdivisions, rezonings, special use permits, planned developments, street and alley closures, etc.
2. Reviews individual applications that are made with the Memphis and Shelby County Board of Adjustment (the “BOA,” which serves as the board of zoning appeals for the City of Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County) to ensure their compliance with the UDC; which include requests for variances, conditional use permits, change in nonconforming use permits, etc.
3. Mediates between applicants to the LUCB and BOA and neighboring property owners and groups on individual cases.
4. Composes staff reports and conditions for approval which includes resolutions for individual cases that go before the LUCB and BOA.
5. Presents staff findings to the LUCB and BOA monthly; Requests and presentations are made to the Memphis City Council and/or Shelby County Board of Commissioners.
6. Works with the general public on a wide range of zoning questions which involves a high volume of emails, phone calls and walk-ins.
7. Reviews site plans, subdivision plats and planned development final plans to ensure their compliance with the approvals by the LUCB, BOA, Memphis City Council and Shelby County Board of Commissioners.
8. Reviews site plans in the overlay and special purpose districts to ensure their compliance with the UDC.
9. Prepares reports and present to the Technical Review Committee.
10. Prepares maps using GIS for each case.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or directed
|1. Knowledge of planning concepts and land use planning principles.
2. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
3. Ability to coordinate planning activities and coordinate with other agencies.
4. Ability to research laws, ordinances, rules and regulations to prepare technical and legal documents.
5. Ability to understand and interpret site plans.
6. Ability to plan, organize and maintain an even flow of work.
7. Ability to deal courteously with the public and to resolve problem situations.
8. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
9. General computer knowledge and skills.
|125 N. Main Street, Room #476, Memphis, Tennessee 38103|