|Works under general supervision to inspect local businesses throughout Shelby County for fire hazards and coordinates activities to prevent fire hazards.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
EEOC CODE: 40
|1. Five (5) years working experience in fire service; and
2. Graduated from an accredited high school or possess GED; and
3. 80 hours of fire service related courses; or
4. Equivalent combination of education, fire service training and/or experience.
5. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
|1. Must be Certified by the State of Tennessee as a Firefighter II.
2. Must attain Fire Code Inspector Certification from the Tennessee State Fire Marshal's Office within twelve (12) months of assignment to Fire Prevention for continued employment as an Inspector.
3. Must be CPR Certified.
4. Must have HAZMAT Training.
|1. Provides on site inspection of all commercial/industrial buildings and premises, places of assembly, institutional, education and multi family residential occupancies, inspect confined spaces as well as special hazard areas, within the unincorporated areas of Shelby County, to ensure compliance of all existing County and State mandated fire codes and regulations.
2. Receives, reads, reviews and interprets involved, detailed construction/mechanical blueprints accurately, to determine compliance of all fire codes and regulations. Construction blueprints received through General Contractors, MLGW, Codes and Enforcement.
3. Conducts final inspections to ensure compliance of all existing fire codes and regulations as mandated before facility will be allowed to open for operation and/or to conduct business.
4. Conducts on site inspections of various occupancies as listed above before issuance of permits and licenses under the jurisdiction of the Shelby County Fire Department, i.e., all unincorporated areas of Shelby County.
5. Records through on site investigation and photographs any code violations as well as evidence recovered at the scene of fires.
6. Inspects and tests fire sprinkler systems, standpipe systems, fire pumps, fire alarm systems and wet and/or dry chemical systems for proper installation to prevent fire or hazardous conditions.
7. Issues written orders of correction of hazardous conditions or fire code violations where they exist and follow up with on site inspections to confirm corrections were made according to Code.
8. Assist Fire Marshal with fire investigations.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
|1. Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal fire codes.
2. Thorough knowledge of fire fighting operations and techniques.
3. Thorough knowledge of the workings of fire sprinkler systems, standpipe system, fire pumps, fire alarms systems and wet and/or dry chemical systems.
4. Ability to read construction/mechanical blueprints.
5. Knowledge of hazards involved in fighting fires.
6. Ability to work with the public.
|1075 Mullins Station Road, Building C, 2nd Floor, Memphis, Tennessee 38134|