|JC DETENTION OFFICER|
|Works under general supervision to maintain security and to provide for the welfare of dependent, unruly, delinquent children while under the care of the Memphis and Shelby County Juvenile Court.
EEOC CODE: 40
|1. Three (3) years of experience in care/custody with children or adults; and
2. Two (2) years college study in Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology, or a closely related field.
3. 21 years of age at time of application.
4. Be of high moral character.
5. Pass a background investigation. (Will be screened for misdemeanor/felony record.)
6. Must not have been convicted of, or plead guilty to, or entered plea of no contest to any felony charge, or any violation of federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, crimes/abuse against juveniles, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor, or controlled substance.
7. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
|1. Must pass a psychological examination.
2. Must pass a drug test.
3. Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver's License or secure one as of employment date.
4. Must pass a criminal record check for felony and misdemeanor offenses.
5. Must be available for working shifts, weekends and on call.
6. Discharge from armed forces must be honorable.
7. Must pass a physical examination.
|1. Maintain security and order in accordance with established policies and procedures.
2. Supervise movement of detainees and maintain control of detainees in areas
outside of detention facility.
3. Maintain control and discipline and prevent introduction of contraband into the facility.
4. Observe, document and report misbehavior of detainees.
5. Patrol quarters and other areas of facility at specified and irregular times.
6. Assist in the admittance and release of detainees.
7. Supervise recreational activities and related programs.
8. Supervise work crews within the detention areas.
9. Responsible for sanitation, maintenance and housekeeping of detention areas.
10. Process medical requests and assists in treatment as needed.
11. Handle emergencies.
12. Perform other related duties as assigned.
|1. Knowledge of the needs and psychology of dependent children.
2. Knowledge of CPR and first aid and ability to handle emergencies.
3. Ability to direct activities of juveniles and gain their respect.
4. Ability to perform general office work at a moderate level.
5. Knowledge of security procedures and systems and their implementation.
6. Knowledge of civil and constitutional rights of detainees.
7. Ability to understand and withstand provocative behavior without becoming punitive.
8. Must possess initiative, sound judgment and a positive approach in the work environment.
9. Ability to maintain good working relationship with co-workers.
10. Ability to deal with the public and the staff courteously and tactfully.
11. Ability to perform a variety of work including providing security and limited counseling.
12. Ability to work in a correctional environment which involves moderate risk.
13. Ability to lift 50 pounds.
|616 Adams Avenue, Room #317, Memphis, Tennessee 38105|